frostingscover

FrenchButtercreamVertical

If my outpouring praise was not already enough, you could probably guess that I love the new cookbook, Frostings.  I may be slightly biased, not only because I think author Courtney Whitmore is a doll, but because I had the chance to assist with the book itself.  Miss Whitmore is quite possibly the sweetest and inspirational gals I know, and when she suggested that I come out to Nashville to help her on set for her latest book, I jumped at the opportunity.  She was to be in the photography studio for only 6 days to shoot the entire book.  With about 40 recipes to cover, it was going to be a lot of work.  As crazy-talented as Courtney is, I was glad to lend a hand and my cake skills to help her get through the week that I was visiting.  So, I packed my chef coat and cake tools, and off to Nashville I went!

Frostings-Nashvilleleft to right:
Tessa of Style Sweet CA
Caroline and Kyle of Dreier Photography
Courtney of Pizzazzerie
Hilari of Be Sweet

Working with Courtney and her crew was an unforgettable experience.  This was my first time at a food photography studio, working with a stylist, and (of course) shooting photos for a book.  The studio alone was mind-blowing.  Courtney had props for days, festive backdrops, and colorful linens.  Everything had a “party” element about it, and it made the days just that much more fun.

The photography studio had its own kitchen, where I quickly got to work on the recipes that would later be published in Frostings.  Courtney sure is a one-woman show.  She can do it all!  But while on set, shooting at least 6 recipes a day, I helped out in the kitchen so she could over-see more of the project.  While the photographer was setting up lights, and stylist gathering props, Courtney and I prepared recipes and frosted an assortment of desserts.  The week I was there, the focus of the shoots were for the cakes, naturally ;)  Keep in mind, however, that this book has plenty of recipes for frostings that do not necessarily go on cakes.  From ganaches, to glazes, this book is full of recipes and ideas for using them.  Some of my favorite pics from the book include chocolate-glazed donuts and a s’mores tower of stacked chocolate bars, graham crackers, and marshmallow frosting.

frostings-duoToffee Sundae and Banana’s Foster

Needless to say, this book is full of beautiful, mouth-watering photography.  And trust me, they taste delicious too.  I had to keep myself for “sampling” too much while we worked.  Once I received my copy, I had the hardest time choosing which recipe to make first.  All of them are enticing and original.  Alas, I decided on a buttercream to ice a fanciful cake with.  Since I typically work with Italian or American Buttercreams, I chose the French Buttercream.

FrenchButercream-Text

What I did not know about French Buttercream is that it is made with egg yolks.  I have been making buttercreams with just egg whites for years, but never tried this version before.  The egg yolks and real butter make this buttercream particularly smooth and creamy.  The flavor is rich, but versatile.  This buttercream would pair with any cake.  Keep in mind, however, the color is definitely not pure white.  Due to the egg yolks, butter, and pure vanilla extract, the frosting comes out a little on the yellow side.  But, as you can see from the photos, you can tint it easily.

French-Heart

French Buttercream from "Frostings"

Ingredients

• 3 ounces egg yolks (about 5-6 whole eggs worth)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg yolks on high until light and foamy (about 5 minutes).
  2. Meanwhile, place sugar and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Continue to boil sugar mixture until it reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
  3. Immediately remove from the heat and carefully pour into the egg yolks, while mixing on low speed.
  4. Increase the speed to medium-high, and continue mixing until room temperature.
  5. With the speed on medium-low, gradually add in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time.
  6. Add in the vanilla extract and beat on high until smooth.
  7. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before frosting and piping.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin
FrenchButtercreamCrop

23 Responses to French Buttercream + “Frostings” Review

1. elaine says:

Beautifully done. Very unique cake topper!

2. Sue says:

These cakes look beautiful and I’m keen to try making the French buttercream icing!

3. awww! that’s such a cool experience, what a whirlwind … and you get to see what it will be like when YOU do your own book! ^__^

i LOVE LOVE LOVE this cake! it’s perfect. the different textures, the pale colour palette and that beautiful ruffly heart. amazing job, tessa!

4. Kyle says:

How did you make the heart on the top of the cake? Love it!

• Tessa says:

Kyle,

Thank you! The heart topper is handmade from fondant. They will soon be available for purchase once the online sugar shop is open- hopefully by next month :)

5. Thea says:

How did you make the heart…it is darling!

• Tessa says:

Thea,

The heart topper is handmade from fondant. They will soon be available for purchase once the online sugar shop is open- hopefully by next month ;)

6. Ashley says:

This cake is beautiful. I especially like the colors and the textures. The cake topper is amazing. Did you make this as well?

• Tessa says:

Ashley,

Thank you! Yes, I did make the heart cake topper ;) They will soon be available for purchase once the online sugar shop is open- hopefully by next month.

7. What a cute looking cake with a gorgeous heart on top. Love it!

8. Sara says:

This is gorgeous. Can you explain how you frosted it? I love it!

• Tessa says:

Sara,

Thank you! I used a fluted piping tip to create vertical swirls on the cake. Hopefully I can write up a better tutorial with photos soon ;)

9. […] clockwise from top left: unknown via Etsy, Makers of Shoes, Style Sweet, Beautiful Cake Pictures, unknown, via My Owl Barn, via Nordstrom, The Pink Owl Gifts, via Better […]

10. […] clockwise from top left: unknown via Etsy, Makers of Shoes, Style Sweet, Beautiful Cake Pictures, unknown, via My Owl Barn, via Nordstrom, The Pink Owl Gifts, via Better […]

11. Katie says:

Hi! I love these cakes!!! What tip did you use for the bottom layer???

12. […] French Buttercream Cake Rich, creamy FRENCH BUTTERCREAM recipe.For full “French Buttercream Cake” recipe click here […]

13. Aminat Abey says:

infact it’s amazing,I will give it a try.

14. Angela says:

This recipe is AMAZING!
    I lost my aunt’s famous french buttercream recipe a few years ago and she wouldn’t give it to me a second time. This is the closest recipe i could find to hers and it set up just as nicely. Very fluffy and buttery. Instead of the egg yolks I used whites (like my aunt) with 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar. I don’t have a candy thermometer, but I heat the sugar/water until most of the sugar is dissolved (but i like to leave it a tad cloudy as i would rather under cook it a little then over cook it at all). I also used a hand mixer for this process which was very difficult… In the end I had to add an extra cup of butter to get my frosting to set.

Thank you for sharing!!